In an email sent to students earlier today, Dean of Columbia College, James Valentini, has notified students of the passing of Ezekiel “Zeke” Reiser, a Columbia College student who entered with the Class of 2014. Reiser, son of adjunct faculty members from GSAPP passed away over the weekend.
The full email can be found below:
I am devastated to be writing to you again about the passing of a Columbia College student. Ezekiel “Zeke” Reiser, who was the son of adjunct faculty members in the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation (GSAPP) and entered Columbia College with the Class of 2014, died this weekend at his family’s home in New York.
Below is a message sent by Dean Amale Andraos to the GSAPP faculty, which includes memorial information for Zeke.
I know that many of you are still healing from other recent news. Each loss we experience takes a toll, and this has been and continues to be an incredibly difficult time for us all.
Please continue to take care of yourselves and each other and don’t hesitate to reach out to the staff throughout the University here to support you, including clinicians from Counseling and Psychological Services (212-854-2878), staff from the Office of the University Chaplain (212-854-1493), your advisers in the Berick Center for Student Advising (212-854-6378), and your Residential Life staff, including your RAs.
My thoughts are with Zeke’s family and friends, and all of you.
James J. Valentini
Dean of Columbia College and
Vice President for Undergraduate Education
cc: Mary C. Boyce, Dean of The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science
- Columbia Counseling and Psychological Services (212-854-2878) will offer walk-in hours from 5 to 9 p.m.today through Thursday on the fifth floor of Lerner, as well as drop-in hours in satellite locations throughout campus (see website for times and locations).
- Columbia Health (212-854-7426)
- Office of the University Chaplain (212-854-1493) will be available for individual or group counseling until 9 p.m. Monday through Friday in Earl Hall and St. Paul’s Chapel, as well as by appointment.
- Berick Center for Student Advising (CSA) (212-854-6378) advisers are available by email and phone throughout the week to answer any questions.
- NightLine (212-854-7777) is an anonymous peer listening service for students
- Residential Life professional staff – Look for contact information in your residence hall to connect with your Residence Hall Directors and Associate Directors
———- Forwarded message ———-
From: GSAPP Dean’s Office <deansoffice@arch.
Date: Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 4:44 PM
Subject: Zeke Reiser
Dear Friends and colleagues,
It is with great sadness that I share the heartbreaking news of the death of Zeke Reiser, the son of our colleagues Nanako Umemoto and Jesse Reiser, this past weekend. Zeke was also a member of the Columbia community as a student at Columbia College.
A memorial ceremony is planned for 2 pm on Wednesday January 25th, at the home of Deborah Reiser, 28 South Washington Ave, Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522.
Dean, Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation
Columbia University, New York